Ref: K126

Brewel West

 
Townland: Brewel West Parish:
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 283740(E), 201880(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B32-06 Old Burial Ground Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD032-021001 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall on NE side; earthen bank on all other sides with fencing.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature ash and sycamore throughout; hedgerow surrounding boundary; semi-natural grassland; overgrown with grass; lichen and moss on headstones and walls
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pastureland on the lower slopes of Brewel Hill (222m). The 1st edition OS map of 1837 marks a 'Grave Yard' whose boundary is shown with trees. The graveyard is approximately square-shaped in plan with a stone wall and gate on one side. The site is neglected and heavily overgrown. Sporadic headstones could be seen throughout with many more obscured by vegetation. The ground is rough underfoot. The headstones date from the 19th-21st centuries. The headstone types are rounded, kerbed and Celtic style. A cemetery mass was held here in 2005 by relatives of the deceased. A clean up of the graveyard was also carried out at the time.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The foundations of a simple medieval church survive to foundation level. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 19th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services