Ref: K136

Templedooath Burial Ground

 
Townland: Carbury Parish: Carbury & Dunforth (Carbury)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 268566(E), 234260(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD008-006002 - graveyard
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall and fencing. The gate is in poor condition.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along E boundary; Hedgerow along N fencing; semi-natural grassland throughout; wildflower rich in NW corner; overgrown throughout; lichen on walls and headstones (90%); ivy on some headstones
 
Description: The graveyard is located in pasture land at the lower slopes of Carbury Hill. The site is marked on the 1st edition OS map of 1837 as 'Templedooath Grave Yard'. A path can be seen leading to the graveyard from the nearby village of Carbury. The headstones date mostly from the 18th century but there are some from the 20th century. The graveyard is rough and uneven underfoot. Headstone types are rounded and Celtic style. The stone type is limestone. There is an ongoing community scheme of recording headstone transcriptions.
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological and historic interest. No trace of any structures survive on site. The graveyard contains various cut-stone grave markers from the 18th-20th centuries, which are of artistic and historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Betty Carey & Lucy Greany
Location: Ongoing

Website Development: Kildare Web Services