Ref: K138

St. Patrick's Chapel

 
Townland: Ardrass Lower Parish: Celbridge (Killadoon)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 294672(E), 231443(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B11-01 Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD011-015003
 
Boundary Treatment: Railings, approx. 1m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Lichens visible on 25% of headstones; ivy covers 10-20% of structure; herbicide recently used inside chapel; a swallows' nest is located inside the chapel.
 
Description: K138 is located in a rural setting behind a farmhouse. The associated chapel is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map, but neither mentions a graveyard. Access to the enclosure is via a gate in the SW corner of the boundary. There are no paths within the enclosure, but the ground surface is even. There are no visible gravestones. The chapel is derelict and measures 9x6m approx. It is almost fully upstanding. The roof is corbelled.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest. The simple rectangular structure has a stone roof supported by an internal vault. Features of note are twin ogival-headed light in the E gable and a piscina in the N wall. A belfry surmounts the W gable. A circular enclosure can be seen on the S-W-N in the form of a steeply curved road, the church lies at the centre of this enclosure and may suggest the site of an earlier church. There are no visible headstone on site.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services