Ref: K141

Cloncurry Graveyard

 
Townland: Cloncurry (Offaly East By., Cloncurry ED) Parish: Cloncurry
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 270547(E), 221019(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD017-008002
 
Boundary Treatment: Modern field boundary only
 
Natural Heritage Details: Full coverage by semi-natural grassland
 
Description: The site is located in a grass covered field. The site of Cloncurry church is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25 " map, but neither specifically mentions a graveyard. The side of the southern wall of the church is visible, as is part of the western wall. The site on which it is located is also higher than the surrounding area. The site is accessed via a farmyard and then a cross country walk. The ground surface is uneven. There is one possible gravestone, but its location just south of the church wall may indicate that it is merely rubble.
 
Appraisal: The site is of considerable archaeological, architectural and historic interest, attesting to the long-standing ecclesiastical presence in the area. An early church site associated with St Ninian, no visible trace of this pre-Norman church survives. There are also no visible graver markers.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services