Ref: K158

St Ita's Kilmead

 
Townland: Kilmead Parish: Narraghmore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 274050(E), 198930(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD031-027
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall, 1-1.5m high
 
Natural Heritage Details: 5-10 young trees lining boundaries; mown grass covers the entire site; lichens visible on all grave markers; limited ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in a semi-rural setting in the village of Kilmead. It is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. A grassy path leads from a local road to the site. The entrance to the enclosure is in the NE corner of the boundary wall. Stone steps lead up into the enclosure. The entrance is not gated and the ground level is higher inside than outside the enclosure. There are no internal paths, but the ground surface is quite even and the grass is short. There are no structures within the enclosure. The visible grave markers are all just north of centre of the enclosure. There are three table tombs, two slabs and one upstanding gravestone with associated decorative slab. The gravestones date from 18th and 19th century, but the graveyard is signposted as being the "15th Century Fitzgerald Graveyard."
 
Appraisal: The site is of archaeological, architectural and historic interest. Features of note are he several table tombs and recumbent slabs dating to the 18th and 19th centuries which are of artistic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services