Ref: K175

St Mary's Cemetery

 
Townland: Woodstock North Parish: Athy
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 267301(E), 194474(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall with 'soldier' coping.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Row of mature conifers just inside the gate and along the central path of the graveyard; Hedgerow along E and W sides; semi-natural grassland throughout.
 
Description: The graveyard is located adjacent to the Grand Canal on the outskirts of Athy. The land surrounding the site is arable. The entrance to the graveyard is along a road and is entered through a single gate. The graveyard is rectangular in plan with a central path which runs the full length. It is marked on the OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) as 'St Mary's Burial Ground'. The headstones are located at the S end of the graveyard and are mostly iron crosses. There are five limestone headstones that are from the 20th century. One headstone located on its own may be 18th century. There is a white marble memorial located in the centre of the path. There are signs of vandalism within the site.
 
Appraisal: A mid 19th Century workhouse graveyard. This graveyard is of social and historical importance in the locality.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services