Ref: K178

Passlands

 
Townland: Passlands Parish: Monasterevin
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 262476(E), 211142(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Earthen bank & hedgerow; stone wall; post and wire.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees around and throughout the graveyard; hedgerows forming part of the boundary; semi-natural grassland, brambles, thistles, wild flowers; lichen on most of the headstones; cabbage butterfly
 
Description: Located in a rural area just outside Monasterevin. The site is marked on the 1st ed. OS map (1837) as 'RC Chapel and Graveyard'. By the time of the later edition (1897-1913) the church is no longer upstanding but the site is still marked as 'graveyard'. The map also shows a 'monument' in the NE side of the graveyard. There is a farmhouse and yard on the NE boundary. Entrance to graveyard over a foot stile or swing gate and along a short path into the graveyard. The partial remains of the RC church can be seen. The dates of the headstones are from 19th century onwards. Most of the grave markers are upright. Headstone types are: rounded and about 12 railing tombs. The ground undulates severely in places and along with the heavily overgrown nature of the site, access and moving about is hazardous. No visible paths remain. The stone wall to roadside is about 1m in height.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services