Ref: K189

Newtown Cemetery, Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

 
Townland: Newtown Parish: Kilcock
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 282685(E), 238978(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall and hedge
 
Natural Heritage Details: Young conifer trees located along boundary; hedgerow located along S boundary; mown grass; lichen on walls and headstones;
 
Description: The graveyard is located in the village of Newtown. The church and graveyard are marked on the 1st edition OS map (1837) as 'RC Chapel' and 'Graveyard'. The church is in ruins. The graveyard is located to the rear of the church. The headstones date from the 19th-21st centuries. The headstone types are Celtic style, rounded, kerbed, railed. The material of the headstones are: limestone, polished granite and marble. Only the W gable and the belfry of the church remain upstanding. The paths are of tarmac with kerbing. There are two gates into the graveyard. The new church of the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary is located on the SW side of the grounds fronting onto the road.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Betty Carey & Lucy Greany
Location: County Archive (to be deposited)

Website Development: Kildare Web Services