Ref: K190

Kilshanroe, Holy Family

 
Townland: Kilshanroe Parish: Carbury and Dunforth (Dunflerth)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 273859(E), 237580(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Concrete block wall
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature beech, pine and ewe trees along boundary; hedgerow along boundary; mown grass; lichen on walls.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in the rural village of Kilshanroe. The 'RC Chapel is marked on the OS 1837 map but no graveyard is shown. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) shows the church and the graveyard. The headstones date from the 19th-21st centuries. The headstone types are rounded, kerb, Celtic style, crosses. The material is limestone and polished granite. The ground is uneven in places. Gravel paths are in the process of being tarmacked. The remains of the earlier church survives only in a representative foot print kerb. No upstanding remains. There is a gate into the graveyard in the NW corner and three other gates in the wall between the older part of the cemetery and the more recent part.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Anna Ryan
Location: County Archive, Newbridge

Website Development: Kildare Web Services