Ref: K191

Broadford Church

 
Townland: Garrisker Parish: Balyna (Balynadrumny)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 268809(E), 241545(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Concrete block
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along boundary; young trees along boundary; mown grass.
 
Description: The graveyard is located in an area of crop fields. The church is marked on 1st edition OS map as 'RC Chapel'. On the later 25 inch OS map (1897-1913) it is named as 'St Mary's Church'. No graveyard is marked. There are several 19th century burials (5) in the grounds of the church, all former parish priests. The main cemetery is located across the road. The headstones date from the 20th-21st centuries. The surface of the paths are tarmac. The headstone types are: Celtic style, rounded and kerbed. Stone type: polished granite, white marble and limestone.
 
Appraisal: A 20th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: betty Carey & Lucy Greany
Location: Survey Proposed

Website Development: Kildare Web Services