Ref: K193

Derrinturn Holy Trinity Church

 
Townland: Ballyshannon Parish: Carbury & Dunforth (Ardkill)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 270567(E), 232600(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Concrete wall and hedge and bank.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature trees along boundary; hedgerow along W and N boundaries; mown grass throughout.
 
Description: This large graveyard is located in the village of Derrinturn to the rear of the church. It is marked on the 1st edition OS map from 1837 as 'RC Chapel' and shows a cruciform church with a small wooded area to the west of the church. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) marks this wooded area as the 'grave yard' divided into quadrants. The church is named as 'Trinity RC Church'. A well is marked also. The headstones date from the 19th-21st centuries. The headstone types are rounded, Celtic style, railed and kerbed. The stone types are limestone, polished granite and white marble.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services