Ref: K201

Timahoe Graveyard

 
Townland: Timahoe East Parish: Robertstown (Timahoe)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 277452(E), 232091(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): KD009-008002
 
Boundary Treatment: Rubble stone wall, 2m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 1 mature tree on the east side of the enclosure and 2 young trees along the northern boundary; the holy water font within the church contains water; bramble cover 10-20% of western boundary wall; lichens visible on 25% of gravestones and boundary walls; ivy covers 50% of boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in the village of Timahoe. It is surrounded by pasture fields and is located across the road from a farmhouse. The associated church is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map, but the graveyard is only specifically mentioned on the latter. The church is described as being in ruin on the later map. The site is accessed directly from the road via a gate in the southern boundary. There are gravel paths within the enclosure, but they are becoming overgrown. The ground level is higher within the graveyard than it is outside. The boundary acts as a retaining wall. The ground surface undulates. The graveyard may originally have been bigger as there are possible associated stone remains in the field to the NW. Only the southern wall of the church survives. It is approx. 6m long, 1m thick and 2m high. It contains a window. Gravestones date from 18th-20th century.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Noel Reid 1985
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services