Ref: K203

Carragh Cemetery

 
Townland: Carragh Parish: Carragh
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 284985(E), 221527(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Cement faced stone walls 1.5-2m high except north corner which has a rough coursed stone wall connected with an older burial ground (K109).
 
Natural Heritage Details: 4 mature trees dispersed throughout the enclosure and 20-30 young trees mostly in the SE corner; strimmed grass covers 80% of the area (everywhere except paths and several plots); lichens visible on approx.50% of headstones; limited ivy coverage on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in the town of Carragh. A Roman Catholic chapel is marked on the same site on the 1st edition OS 6" map, but the graveyard is not. The church and graveyard are both marked on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. It is accessed via a tarred lane from the R409. The graveyard is well served with paths. There are no structures within the enclosure, but there is a permanent altar in the middle of the southern half of the enclosure. There is a number of religious statues throughout the enclosure including a large crucifix at the southern end. The SE corner of the enclosure is slightly divided from the rest by two lines of evenly spaced young trees which form a square with the south and east boundary walls. There are no burials within this area.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Location: See www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services