Ref: K204

St. Corban's Cemetery

 
Townland: Naas East Parish: Naas
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 290110(E), 220301(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone walls; back garden walls of modern properties to the north and in annex.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 100+ mature and young trees dispersed throughout; mown grass covers approx. 50% of the area (everywhere except paths and many plots); lichens visible on 30-40% of gravestones; limited ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is the main active Catholic graveyard in the town of Naas. It is marked on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map, but not on the 1st edition OS 6" map. It is accessed directly from the R445 by a decorative gateway in the middle of the southern boundary wall. Inside the gateway to the east there is a small church/chapel and to the west of the gate are a house and maintenance building. Paths (mostly tar, but some gravel) provide good access to the full extent of this very large graveyard. There is an annex enclosure to the NE which is also very large and well served with paths. The annex can be accessed directly from the R445 via a small laneway. The most modern burials are located here as the original enclosure is virtually full. The ground level is higher inside the enclosure than outside and the surface is very even. Gravestones date from 19th-21st century.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services