Ref: K206

St. Peter's

 
Townland: Stephenstown North Parish: Newbridge (Killashee)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 286997(E), 214118(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Cement faced stone wall, 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 10-20 mature and 10-20 young trees dispersed throughout; a hedgerow makes up part of the northern boundary; mown grass covers 60% of the site approx.; lichens visible on 50% of gravestones; limited ivy coverage on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in the town of Two Mile House. The associated church is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 Os 25" map, but the graveyard is only specifically mentioned on the latter. The site is accessed via a gate in the middle of the southern boundary wall which opens directly from the road onto a tar and gravel path which leads to and around the church and from the NW corner of the church into the modern graveyard annex. There is a pedestrian gate just west of the main gate. Access of t he majority of graves is not provided by paths. The southern enclosure contains a church which dominates the east side. Burials in the southern enclosure tend to be older. An inscription on the church records the bequest of land to build the church in 1790. Most gravestones in the S enclosure date from 19th century. An opening in what would have been the northern boundary wall leads into the currently active burial area. Most graves in this area date from 20th century, but there are earlier and later examples. The northern enclosure can only be accessed through the southern enclosure. The ground surface in both areas is even.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services