Ref: K210

Allen Cemetery

 
Townland: Russeltown (Connell BY) Parish: Allen and Milltown (Rathernan)
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 276785(E), 221942(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B18-01 Church ruins and Fr. Moore’s Grave at Allen Church Yard B18-05 Allen Catholic Church Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall within older part of graveyard. Block stone wall in annex. All boundary walls are 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 50-100 mature trees mostly lining the boundaries of the older enclosure and 10-20 young trees mostly lining the boundaries of the newer enclosure; mown grass covers 20%of site approx.; lichens visible on 30% of gravestones.
 
Description: The site is located in a rural setting at the NE end of the village of Allen. The associated church is marked on both the 1st edition OS 6" map and the 1897-1913 OS 25" map, but the graveyard (much smaller than at present) is only specifically mentioned on the latter. The graveyard at this time was confined to the area enclosing the church which now contains only one gravestone. It is a clerical grave from the 1920s. The graveyard is accessed directly from the R415 by two pedestrian gates in the NW wall, from a carpark in the NE and from the church grounds to the SW. The church grounds are separate from the graveyard, but a gate opens between the two enclosures. The graveyard is divided into two parts. The older part is directly NE of the church and is oriented NE-SW. The newer area is oriented the same way and is located SE of the older area. There are several access points to get from one area to the other. The newer area can also be accessed directly from the car park. Both areas are well served with paths and the ground surface is very even. Rubbish bins are provided for waste from grave cleaning. Most burials in the older enclosure are 20th century, while those in the newer area are 20th-21st century.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: "The Association for the Preservation of Memorials of the Dead, in Ireland"
Location: www.irishfamilyresearch.co.uk

Website Development: Kildare Web Services