Ref: K214

Church of the Blessed Trinity

 
Townland: Moone Parish: Moone
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 279701(E), 192045(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall in the NW half, cement faced block stone wall in the SE half. Walls 1.5-2m high.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 1-5 mature trees dispersed through the NW half and 10-15 young trees dispersed throughout the entire burial area; a hedgerow divides the front and NE side of the church from the burial area; mown grass covers approx. 50% of the site; lichens visible on 30% of gravestones; limited ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: The site is located in the centre of the town of Moone. A Roman Catholic Chapel is marked on the 1st edition OS 6" map, but the graveyard is not specifically mentioned. The graveyard, church and mortuary chapel are all marked on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map. The graveyard is accessed through the grounds of the functioning Catholic church which is itself accessed from the main street. There are gates on either side of the church leading into the burial area (but the more southerly does not open). Paths provide reasonable access to the burial area, of which the church defines the NW side. There is also a small mortuary chapel (7x5m approx.) approximately half way along the NE side of the enclosure. There is a bricked up vault under the chapel. It appears that the original burial area would have ended just SE of this point as the character of the boundary changes. Burials to the NW are generally 19th-20th century, whereas burials to the SE are20th-21st century. The is a gate in the SW boundary wall where the extension begins and another pedestrian gate on the same side into the older area. There is no internal division between the two areas.
 
Appraisal: A late 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Recorded by: Schools Project (1970s)
Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services