Ref: K215

S.S. Mary and Laurence

 
Townland: Crookstown Upper Parish: Narraghmore
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 280341(E), 197167(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): B36-09 (church) Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Rough coursed stone wall. Block stone wall in annex. Walls are 1.5m high approx.
 
Natural Heritage Details: 20-25 mature and 20-25 young trees lining boundaries of older area and annex respectively; mown grass covers 60% of the site; lichens visible on 40% of gravestones approx; limited ivy cover on boundary walls.
 
Description: Located in the village of Crookstown the site is marked on the 1897-1913 OS 25" map, but not on the 1st edition OS 6" map. The site can be accessed from the north via the church grounds or directly from the R415 via two pedestrian gates in the eastern boundary wall, one in the centre and one in the south. The enclosed area is divided in two. The original graveyard takes up the eastern half and the newer annex takes up the western half. A wall separates them, but there are three no gated access points between the areas. Both areas are well served by paths. The ground surface off the paths is even and the grass is short. Most gravestones bear 20th century inscriptions, but the older burial area has some 19th century examples, while the annex has some 21st century examples. There are no structures within the burial area, but the church is located in its own enclosure to the north. There is a small number of clerical burials within the church grounds.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 
Record Of Inscriptions: Location: Co. Kildare Online Electronic History Journal

Website Development: Kildare Web Services