Ref: K220

Suncroft Graveyard

 
Townland: Common South Parish: Suncroft
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Kildare and Leighlin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 276290(E), 206914(N) Status: Closed
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): No Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone wall; iron railing on the roadside.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Mature conifers; young beech, alder; semi-natural grassland; overgrown in places with brambles; lichen on headstones and walls throughout; ivy on walls
 
Description: The graveyard was at one time (19th-20th century) the main cemetery for the village of Suncroft. The cemetery originally had a church on it's grounds. An 'RC Chapel' is marked on the OS map of 1837, though no graveyard is shown. The OS 25 inch map of 1897-1913 marks the church as 'disused' and shows the graveyard to the rear of the church. By this time the current St Bridget's Church was built. The burials occupy the entire cemetery now with no trace of the original church surviving. The headstones date from the 19th-20th centuries. The headstone types were Celtic style, railed, kerbed, and rounded. The materials used are predominantly limestone, with occasional granite and white marble. There is evidence for some vandalism in places with several headstones toppled over. The graveyard is badly littered and neglected. The graveyard is also used as a shortcut between the village shops and houses. The rear wall of the graveyard is broken in places. There is a foot stile on the rear wall. The gate piers of the main entrance are of dressed granite.
 
Appraisal: A 19th century graveyard which contains various cut-stone grave markers of marble, limestone and polished granite. The styles are kerbed, obelisk, table, railed and rectangular shaped headstones, which are of some local social, artistic and local historic interest.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services