Ref: K223

Church of the Immaculate Conception, Eadestown

 
Townland: Rathmore Parish: Naas
 
Denomination: RC Diocese: Dublin (RC) 
 
Grid Ref: 295099(E), 217832(N) Status: Open
 
Record of Protected Structures (RPS): Yes Record of Monuments and Places (RMP): No
 
Boundary Treatment: Stone walls with modern render.
 
Natural Heritage Details: Young trees; planting; mown grass; mature eucalyptus in church yard; lichen on headstones.
 
Description: The burials are located in a small secluded corner of Eadestown Parish Church. The burials are all of previous parish priests. The dates of the burials are: 1878, 1922, 1949 and 1974. The earliest headstone is a granite obelisk. The next two later headstones are of Celtic style and the latest burial is white marble. The church is marked on the 1st edition OS map (1837) as named as 'RC Chapel'. The later OS 25 inch map (1897-1913) names the church as 'St Mary's RC Church'. The parochial house is shown on the SE side of the church where the current car park is now.
 
Appraisal: A small burial area for Eadestown parish priests in the grounds of the church. This graveyard is of social and historical importance in the locality.
 

Website Development: Kildare Web Services